A healthy option for Mac and Cheese.
Health benefits: Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. It provides health benefits to the nervous system, heart and blood pressure. It is a good source of antioxidants which are beneficial in preventing and lowering inflammation.
- 1 head cauliflower (steamed al dente)
- 3/4 cup milk or more if you like
- 3/4 cup butternut squash puree
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1/2 tsp chile serrano finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 or 2 toast for bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese to gratinate
- Pepper to taste
Preheat the oven 400°F and butter a baking pan
- Cut the squash in half take the seed out and bake for 45 minutes at 400. When cool puree and reserve it.
- In a large pot, steam the cauliflower head between 5 to 8 minutes, al dente; when the tip of a knife can be inserted easily without resistance. When cool cut the florets off and cut the heart into macaroni size pieces.
- In a large pot over medium heat add the butter, onion, chile and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until onion is translucid. Taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in squash puree, milk and one Tbsp parsley and pepper over low heat.
- Remove the pot from the burner completely. Blend in the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses and stir to create a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Gently fold in the cauliflower and pour into the grease baking pan and sprinkle a top with parmesan and the bread crumbs.
- Cook until likely brown; about 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley before serving and Enjoy!