Second Harvest Food Bank’s Cooking Club is at it again. This month’s healthy recipe is Cauliflower Casserole. Watch the video and see how convenient it is to make something both healthy and tasty!
Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. It provides health benefits to the nervous system, heart and blood pressure. It is a good source of antioxidants which are beneficial in preventing and lowering inflammation.
- 1 head cauliflower (steamed al dente)
- 3/4 cup milk or more if you like
- 3/4 cup butternut squash puree
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1/2 tsp chile serrano finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 or 2 toast for bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese to gratinate
- Pepper to taste
Preheat the oven 400°F and butter a baking pan
- Cut the squash in half take the seed out and bake for 45 minutes at 400. When cool puree and reserve it.
- In a large pot, steam the cauliflower head between 5 to 8 minutes, al dente; when the tip of a knife can be inserted easily without resistance. When cool cut the florets off and cut the heart into macaroni size pieces.
- In a large pot over medium heat add the butter, onion, chile and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until onion is translucid. Taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in squash puree, milk and one Tbsp parsley and pepper over low heat.
- Remove the pot from the burner completely. Blend in the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses and stir to create a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Gently fold in the cauliflower and pour into the grease baking pan and sprinkle a top with parmesan and the bread crumbs.
- Cook until likely brown; about 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley before serving and Enjoy!