This puréed soup gets its creamy texture from the addition of potato, not cream or butter. For a flavor boost, drizzle in your favorite extra-virgin olive oil, good vinegar, or a squeeze of lemon.
• 2 bunches broccoli
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
•1 onion, chopped
• 4 cups vegetable stock
• 1 russet potato, peeled, cut into 1” pieces
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Remove and discard tough lower stalks from broccoli. Peel remaining stalks. Finely chop stalk and florets (you should have about 4 cups). Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a medium heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and sweat until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
3. Add stock and potato and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potato is almost tender, about 12 minutes.
4. Stir in chopped florets. Simmer until potato and broccoli are very tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove soup from heat, let cool, and purée in a blender until smooth.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serves 4-6