1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups dark, leafy greens (such as kale, chard, collard, etc.)
2 tbsp sesame oil
Cayenne pepper to taste
• With a mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa well.
• Cut the onion in half through the root and then slice across the grain into thin half circles.
• In a large pot with a lid, put 1 tsp of sesame oil, 1/4 of the onion, and one clove of minced garlic. Sauté one minute, then add the quinoa and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit.
• Rinse and chop the greens, removing hard middle stems. In a large frying pan, add 1 tbsp of sesame oil and the rest of the onion. When the onions are translucent, add the garlic and the greens. Cook around 15 minutes or until the greens are wilted. Add cayenne to taste.
• To serve, add the rest of the sesame oil to the quinoa, fluff it with a wooden spoon, and serve under greens.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition information (per serving):
345 calories, 11g fat, 12g protein, 7g fiber, 1g sugar