1 onion, chopped
3 cups mushrooms, chopped
3–5 cloves garlic, minced
7 cups water
11/2 cups dry brown rice
1 tbsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp sage
3 cups kale, stems removed, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms, and sauté until the onions are transparent and the mushrooms have released their liquid.
3. Add water and rice.
4. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, about 40 minutes or until the rice is tender.
6. Add the spices—thyme, black pepper, salt, and sage, and mix well.
7. Add the chopped kale and cook 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Yields 8 servings.