A variety of vegetables can be used, cut into bite sized pieces.
2 bunches beets with green tops
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 Tbls. red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup pinto, kidney or white beans
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
• Roast or steam beets. Peel and cut into wedges.
• Mash garlic and salt into a paste. Transfer to bowl. Add vinegar and stir, add oil, oregano and pepper. Whisk until blended.
• Add 1 Tbsp. of dressing mixture to beet wedges, toss to coat. Add beans to the beet/oil mixture and stir.
• Soak onion in cold water for 10 minutes until ready to use.
• Bring 2 cups water to boil. Wash beet greens, trim stems. Add greens to water, cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well, cut into 1 inch pieces.
• Drain onion and add to the beans along with the beet greens. Add to wedge-cut beets and toss all.
Makes 4 servings.