• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 medium celery stalk, small dice
• 1 medium carrot, peeled and small dice
• 1/2 medium yellow onion, small dice
• 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
• 3-4 cups green cabbage, shredded
• Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
• 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock or water
• 1 can (15-ounces) diced tomatoes with their juices
• 1 1/4 cups lentils (any color except red), rinsed
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary leaves
• 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
• 2 ounces spinach leaves (about 1/2 a bunch)
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until simmering, 3 minutes.
2. Add celery, carrot, & onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 min. Then season with several pinches of salt and pepper.
4. Add the broth, tomatoes with their juices, lentils, bay leaf, & thyme. Stir to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer, about 15 minutes.
5. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and continue simmering, covered, until the lentils and vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes more.
6. Taste and season with more salt or pepper as needed, then stir in the vinegar. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. If you prefer a creamier texture, purée half of the soup in a blender and add it back to the pot.