You can join us in fighting hunger and feeding hope. Start planning your food/fundraiser today and make a difference in your community.
1. Attend the Annual Food and Fund Drive Luncheon on November 6th to get ideas and inspiration for your drive.
2. Fill Out the Participation Form – Start your Food and Fund Drive here and find out how to create an online fundraising page and/or request promotional materials.
3. Virtual Fund Drive (through our StayClassy fundraising site) – Set up your own Fundraising Web Page for Second Harvest. It’s fast and easy. Contact email@example.com if you need any help setting it up.
4. Spread The Word – Make a plan and spread the word! Challenge your friends and family, co-workers, students, or members to exceed your goals.
5. Celebrate – Share the impact of your drive to let participants know that every $1 helped! Each year in March Second Harvest hosts an Annual Awards Dinner to recognize those groups and individuals who have made a difference in our community. It is a great opportunity to celebrate together the efforts of everyone who donated their time and talents to make good things happen! Food Bank Fact: $1 provides 4 meals!
Does hosting a drive really make a difference?
Yes! Your fundraising efforts will provide 4 meals for every $1 you collect. Let’s say you send out a few emails, post your drive on Facebook, and tweet a few hunger stats. If 20 people give just $25, that’s $500. You’ve raised enough to provide a family of 4 enough food for 6 months! How much easier could it be? Your efforts have a real impact!
Who can host a drive?
Anyone! Raising funds and collecting food is rewarding. Become one of the thousands of people who fundraise on behalf of Second Harvest. Host a drive for your company, school, congregation, club, or neighborhood. You can also host a drive among your family and friends!
Selecting dates: First, decide on dates for your food drive. Food drives can run as little as two hours or for up to two months. Some donors even collect food and money year round. The average drive is usually about two to three weeks.
Choosing your locations:If you have multiple locations, you may want to recruit someone at each of those sites to help you manage donations. Select high-traffic areas where the barrels and signage will be noticeable and convenient for donor. Be sure to consider safety and security issues when choosing your locations.
Setting Goals: Setting a goal is a good way to motivate your donors and it provides a sense of accomplishment at the end of your drive. For every 1.25 pounds of food you collect, you will be credited one meal.For every dollar you raise, you will be credited four meals. Another great way to motivate participants is to set a goal per student/employee. Then multiply that by the number participants to determine your final goal. There is an award presented at our Annual Dinner for the most meals per student/employee.
Determining how many barrels you will need: Determine how many barrels to order. One barrel holds an average of 125 pounds of food. A good way to estimate the number of barrels you need is by dividing your goal by 125. This will tell you how many barrels would be needed to hold the amount of pounds you are trying to collect. (If it is anticipated that donors will contribute financially, fewer barrels may be needed)
Scheduling delivery and pick-up: Once you have planned your drive, you should contact Second Harvest Food Bank to arrange for delivery of barrels, donation envelopes, bags and other supplies you may need to conduct your drive. Second Harvest Food Bank can deliver supplies Monday- Friday 8-3pm if your drive falls on a weekend the barrels and supplies will be delivered the Friday before and picked up the following Monday. Please include any special instructions (business hours, gate codes, department, suite number, etc…). All changes to pick ups or deliveries must be made 48 hours prior to scheduled pick up or delivery date.
What if my drive isn’t going well? We are here to help! Our experienced staff will get your drive back on track. Just contact us and we will share the best ways to get your group motivated and inspired. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 831.722.7110.
When is the best time to host a drive? Today! Register to host a drive today to build camaraderie within your organization, rally your friends through meaningful action, and connect with your community.